Bossov Ballet Theatre offers MCI students who pass an audition the unique opportunity to study classical ballet (Vaganova method) as part of the academic curriculum. Ballet classes are taught by Natalya Getman, a former dancer with the Moscow Ballet. The program allows students to earn full academic credit for ballet training. Students who complete the program are uniquely positioned either to matriculate to an outstanding college or join a professional ballet company.
MCI students receive three and a half hours of class each day, Monday through Friday, and two and a half hours on Saturday plus rehearsals. The curriculum includes ballet technique, pointe, partnering, classic pointe variations, character, and acting.
In addition to ballet, students take a full college preparatory high school curriculum, grades 9 through 12. The ballet course counts for two credits each year and is continuous all four years. Students can matriculate as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors, depending on their previous credits earned at other institutions.
Ballet and other academics are all on MCI's campus along with dormitories and dining. Classes are small. The year-round residential ballet class includes 15 select students.
Historically, Maine Central Institute's ballet students have been the school's highest achievers in terms of SAT scores and grade point averages. BBT dancers have recently gone directly from their senior year in high school to the following companies and colleges:
- Academic Ballet School of St. Petersburg, Russia ("Vaganova Academy")
- Hart School, Hartford, Connecticut
- SUNY Purchase, New York
- Denison University, Granville, Ohio
- Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts
- University of Utah
- San Francisco Ballet, San Francisco, California
- Ballet Met, Columbus, Ohio
- Joffrey Ballet, Chicago, Illinois
- Ballet Theater of Maryland, Annapolis, Maryland
- Ballet Illinois, Peoria, Illinois
- Bejart Ballet, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Columbia Classical Ballet, Columbia, South Carolina
- Louisville Ballet, Louisville, Kentucky
- Nashville Ballet, Nashville, Tennessee
- Ballet Pensacola (Principal), Pensacola, Florida
- Charlotte Ballet (Trainee), Charlotte, North Carolina
BBT is accepting new students to the Beginner's Program, which is a dance class for dancers ages 4 to 10 years of age. Classes are held once a week each semester on the MCI campus.
Topics covered in the Beginner's Program include:
- Basic ballet positions
- Correct body alignment with hands on the barre
- Introduction to ballet terms
The first class is free, then weekly classes are $44 per month.
For more information, contact Elizabeth Audet at (207) 487-3355 ext. 217 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Contact Us about BBT at MCI
Please contact us for more information about BBT and how to apply.